2018. május 6., vasárnap

Home Automation - building docker

I started to build the Docker infrastructure on my Hyper-V servers for my home automation (and other) workloads.
My comfort zone if we are talking about linux is mainly Ubuntu and Debian. I heard from various places that I should use Alpine for Docker. Actually I run already into some prebuilt Docker images what based on Alpine during my daily work. So I decided to build this new system on Alpine thinking it is a good opportunity to learn it.
First:
Downloaded the image optimized for virtualization as guest, configured a Gen2 Hyper-V guest and started it.
Yes, it is optimized for virtualization, but not for Hyper-V. Not even started
Second:
Downloaded the standard image. This was able to start in the Hyper-V so, I installed into the vhdx.
As I'm usually copying the image to create a new virtual machine, the Alpine gets here a plus point from me, as it doesn't need boot process tweaking like the Ubuntu for the disk image copying.
Installed nano, as I'll need to edit some config files in the actual machines, and started to replicate the disk images, create additional virtual machines
Third:
I've set the IP address, machine name, DNS, gateway, etc. Just the usuals things.
After reboot it won't start anymore. The reason is the chronyd. As it wasn't able to aquire the time from the internet, waited indefinitely in the boot process. No console, no SSH.
Ok. machine killed, recreated from my base image. Looked around, find nothing. Finally checked the contents of the alpine chronyd package and find out, that I can add the timeout option into the /etc/conf.d/chronyd file. In the ARGS add -t 60
Fourth:
Configured SSH for my needs, added the additional repo for some extra packages needed by the Docker engine.
Installed Docker on all of the x64 machines, setup startup of the Docker
Fifth:
Starting Docker on the machines give this error:


After several attempts I failed to resolve this issue, but find some articles discussing why the Alpine doesn't fit to the task:
http://janhapke.com/blog/alpine-linux-sucks-for-hosting-docker-containers/
http://www.nathanbak.com/?p=37

So I decided. Forget this and go back to Ubuntu. My next try will be on the shiny new Ubuntu 18.04 LTS

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése