2022. január 4., kedd

HP E1300A - EPIC Fail

In the last few days I was working on my instrument control software. I wanted to test, what I achieved with an SCPI compliant device also (now I mainly use my Keithley 199 DMM for the tests).

The first SCPI compliant device I found around is a HP E1300A B-size WXI mainframe with DMM and switch cards (I've three of this).

First I wanted to clean it up, repair if it necessary.

(Read further, text continue after the first set of pictures)

Everything is clean, the dead battery pack exchanged to a battery holder. The only thing still need exchange the old Papst fan. Actually the same fan still in production but it cost insane $60 (I got the two E1300A units as a gift, and bought my first one for  $15). This one if it is new has 36dB noise level. I found a Noctua model, with the same airflow 17dB noise level. I know it is not the "industrial" one, but the unit will be lightly used in my lab, so it will be good enough. Even the fan isn't installed yet.

Just for the try switched on the unit connected a GPIB adapter and checked if I can communicate with it. Looks everything fine after assembly.

Switched off the unit and went to the bathroom. I hear some weird noise from there. Went back to my room. Thick smoke coming out from the switched off unit and stinking like hell. Pulled out the mains cable and didn't understand what happened.

Disassembled the whole unit once more:

The filter in the mains outlet blown.

At least this indicate, that probably the unit itself doesn't has further issues as result of this failure.

New outlet ordered, I'll finish the assembly when arrived.

Nincsenek megjegyzések:

Megjegyzés küldése